Saturday, July 02, 2005

 

Doggie Paddling Through NECC

It has taken me a few days to fully recover from my short stint at the NECC. The oceans of information being splashed about in the exhibit halls and the conference sessions, left me literally...drowning. I liken my own personal experience there as the "tsunami effect". I say this with trepidation because I was awestruck at how much there's left to learn and impressed by what I experienced being that it was my first time in attendance. I had NO clue it was so awesome. If so, I would have taken NECC swimming lessons; the waves were so high.

The tsunami analogy comes from the feeling of being blown away by the waves of information. Then I started my own "poor-me pity-campaign" on how it's virtually impossible for a new blogger to sift through the "goods".

Then I ask, "what about the classroom teachers?" How are they to do the same? My belief is that teachers and librarians have much to gain by attending a conference of this magnitude. But right now, I'm not sure it's advisable. Since I train teachers to adopt technology and integrate it into their curriculum. So I try to think from their vantage point and how this could impact them.

The NECC booklet guide was great. But had so many pages, topics, speakers and great sessions to visit, that it was impossible to see everything. Therefore, how do you choose the right sessions if you're missing another one of interest? Secondly, there has to be an easier way for new bloggers (like myself) to connect with veteran bloggers for guidance (or maybe that's not their role if I'm being presumptuous). I know there were many links available as to where these blogger events and recommended technology sessions were happening; but try finding them, arrgh.

One evening, I spent an hour searching for a "bloggers gathering" that Will told me about. By the way, it was great bumping into Will and I was very grateful to him for sharing this event with me; but to no avail I couldn't find it.

I guess what I want to say is, we have to make it a little easier and not so overwhelming for the lay people in the educational field; so they're are not washed away in the process, never to be recovered again. (my humble opinion and assessments)

Lastly, I would like to thank all of the bloggers there who provided such great information and resources. It is much appreciated.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All Rights Reserved ©2004-2006 Copyright Amy Bowllan Site Meter