Friday, May 20, 2005

 

Here To Stay

The SLJ Virtual Summit Blog is one week old and to date has been both challenging and humbling for me. Now that the dust has settled a bit, reading through some of the comments has really been inspiring with only a couple of TKOs. But what are you going to do? I know, "get a thick skin" but sometimes words hurt. Even though all week I said to myself "I am not going to try to defend myself; people have a right to their opinions." So what do I do? TRY to defend myself. Shame on me...but I can't help it.

Most readers know my story...Journalist, turned educator, turned Libra/Tech Director (yada yada). But on a personal note, it has always been important to me to champion causes that matter. For whatever it's worth...I traveled alone to Bosnia in 1992 during the war, stared in the face of my brother's murderer and watched my father draw his last breath. I do have some idea about the things that matter. And to me LIBRARIES MATTER.

Right now, the librarians need everyone's support (not just librarians supporting librarians). They are truly the vessels by which information can flow through in a very systematic way. We are in a new age in education and we all have to work together to ensure that this happens. Librarians, teachers, administrators and parents need to join forces and work toward a common goal which is the future of today's student. Every school (including mine) should have a librarian. We also have to work on funding so we can afford to pay them what they deserve.

I know...a little too defensive.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

All Rights Reserved ©2004-2006 Copyright Amy Bowllan Site Meter